Tuesday, April 16, 2013

There Is A Difference

I spent all day today talking with you, grade seven and eight, trying to help you (teach you) the things you need to know to think clearly and articulate your thoughts and emotions in writing. It has been exhausting, but in that good way. That feeling that we are working hard and learning and growing and possibly enjoying what we are doing.

I may be deluded, and I can live with that, but it feels like we are immersed in the "Good Work." I wanted to take a few minutes to tell you how proud of you all I am. The topics we are studying and the tasks we are doing are not easy or simple. They require you to push yourselves and work hard. As you have done all year, you have risen to the challenges and are producing some amazing work.

I said to a class the other day, 
You can either think of yourselves as middle school kids writing in English class, or you can think of yourselves as writers. There is a difference.
I see you as writers. I know you are tired and stressed, but keep up the good work.


Final note, after class today as you were leaving one of you said to me,
Thanks for all your hard work Mr. Raisdana!
I cannot tell you how happy that made me. It feels nice to be acknowledged for the work we do. All this writing, reading, research, marking, feedback is hard for me too. It felt great to be thanked for my efforts. So thanks again for the enthusiasm and effort you are all putting forward. It has been noticed and appreciated.

Nine more weeks and we can all take a well-deserved break!

No comments:

Post a Comment