Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Power of Introverts

Hey! You. Yeah you, the quiet one in the corner. Staring down at the table. Yeah, you the one who seldom speaks and has been told your whole life to speak up and "participate" more often in class. Yeah you, I know your parents came home after the conferences last week and told you for the millionth time that you are doing a great job, but reminding you that all of your teachers said that you need to "speak up" in class. Watch this...



I understand that The Table can be an intimidating place. I know that you are listening and absorbing and thinking.  Take your time to process, to think, to grow and when you are ready, please try to find a way to share your thoughts. We need you. We need your ideas and your thoughts. Perhaps in smaller groups, on your blog, in notes and sketches, in side conversations. Find a way to be heard that fits your style.

Would love to read your thoughts on the value of Introverts. What do you think about this clip? This idea of the power of introverts>?

3 comments:

  1. I find this talk quite powerful. I'm going to be really honest in this comment but I don't participate in the discussions as much as I would really like to. I'm actually a really talkative person but I have this feeling that if I say something that adds nothing the conversation (of no value because it is wrong), it feels really awkward. I really love communicating, it's a beautiful way of connecting with people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uD0JnVyAX8 -- I was originally going to type out a comment, but I realized what I wanted to say would be too much to put into text.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one extrovert to another (well, self confessed ambivert), thank you for finding and sharing this. Not only for itself but for the wonderful things (vlogs and thoughts) that have come from it. I have a blog post coming up that ties a bunch of this together along with the single story, vulnerability, the community we are building and well, my silence. I have been swirling in my head for awhile, I know, but am ready to write again to refine and make sense of what I am thinking. You inspire all of us. Thanks, Mr. R.

    Ms. P

    ReplyDelete